Buyer III is an advanced position in purchasing. Under minimum supervision, the Buyer III will perform purchasing related tasks associated with current production and new product development to ensure a continuous flow of all parts and materials at the optimum cost and quality to CKNA. Buyer is responsible to develop supply strategies and cost reduction initiatives for assigned commodities in support of corporate and individual goals. Buyer will develop strong commodity and manufacturing process knowledge, as well as, an understanding of market conditions and technical trends. Buyer should understand the legal aspects of purchasing. Buyer should demonstrate excellent cost analysis, negotiation and problem resolution skills. This position will also aid, support and direct other buyers when needed and coordinate special projects as required.
- Sources and negotiates with potential suppliers, requests RFQs, evaluates, analyzes results and recommends suppliers based on documented QCDDM in conformance with company standards.
- Creates blanket and tooling requisitions and processes purchase orders to support same,
- Works with engineering, manufacturing, and user groups to find cost savings opportunities including initiating process audits at supplier locations.
- Benchmarks assigned commodities and communicates directly with GAP buyers when applicable. Commodity analysis in addition to part-by-part analysis is required including market trends of assigned commodities.
- Performs in-depth cost analysis with complete understanding of cost factors. Focuses on process cost information for opportunities to reduce cost.
- Sources “best value” products through domestic, international, and LCC suppliers. Buyer should completely understand product flow through import / export and customs / broker process.
- Achieves cost reduction goals for assigned commodities in support of corporate directive.
- Possesses thorough understanding of contractual language and the skills of contract writing.
- Evaluates supplier performance stability and institutes improvements and corrective action as required. Emphasis on “right-sizing” supply base and long-range planning to support CKNA objectives as necessary. Develop and maintain supplier panel and performance records.
- Interfaces with Supplier Quality Assurance on production part PPAPs and quality issues and Warranty group regarding supplier warranty issues.
- Participates in and supports supplier AQP activities in support of New Product Launch activities.
- Initiates request for quotation from PCR / ERA’s and provides cost to CMD.
- Implements design changes in response to approved PCR / ERA’s.
- Maintains purchase order files (i.e. quotes, blanket orders, warrants, prints, design changes, etc.) to support TS16949 requirements.
- Compiles and evaluates data for various weekly, monthly, and annual reports (cost reduction, market fluctuation, LCC, supplier ratings, supplier scrap, budget variance, supplier expenditure).
- Visit at supplier locations for VA/VE workshops, tool audits, readiness audits, etc.
- Attends departmental training, company meetings, and HR training awareness sessions.
- Communicates frequently with internal and external contacts on various issues.
- Supports and attends PSSC activities concerning parts / materials within commodity assignment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above typical duties are characteristic of this job and demonstrate a level of difficulty and are not intended to list or limit the duties that may be required or assigned to an employee in this classification.
This work is performed in a general office environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The incumbent must:
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- If non-degreed must have a minimum of eight (8) years of experience in related field.
- -Or -
- Have an Associate’s Degree in related discipline and minimum of six (6) years of experience in related field
- -Or -
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline and minimum of four (4) years of experience in related field
- Master’s Degree and generally three (3) years of experience in related field.
- Certification required in some areas.
- Have experience working with integrated computer programs and/or applications.
- Have strong communication (written and oral), administrative and organizational skills, and the ability to coordinate multiple projects and programs.
- Be able to pass all background checks and pre-employment tests, including any required drug test.
- Be able to maintain the confidentiality of any information s/he encounters. Reasonable accommodations may be made to those who are able to perform the essential duties of the job.
Intermediate to advanced experience (beyond basic data entry) working with computer applications such as Word, Excel, Lotus Notes, PowerPoint, and other presentation applications and/or software.